Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Beet-down!

So I alluded to it in a previous blog that I had purchased Golden Beets and was going to give them a try. Jeff Curry, of Koele's cycling recommended that I cube them and roast them in foil.  Since he is a devout vegetarian, I took his advice and gave them a shot. HOLY COW they were good. Not asparagus or sweet corn good, but I would pick beets over many other options in my usual menus.

After cleaning the beets in cold water and peeling, I cubed them into roughly ¾" cubes. I put them in foil, drizzled with EVOO, and seasoned with sea salt, garlic and a little cayenne pepper for a little kick.I put them in the oven at 450° for about 40 minutes and patiently waited... When I checked them, they weren't quite done, so I put them back in, uncovered for another 10 minutes.

The beets had a bit of an earthy smell and my first thought was that they were going to taste like dirt, but what a pleasant surprise. I ate the entire contents of the foil package and when I was done, wished I had a few more beets to eat. But the good news is... I pass the grocery store where I found them every work day, sometimes twice a day. I will be hitting McGinnis Sisters in the very near future with Golden beets on my mind... or maybe I'll just try another new veggie instead.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure that I'm buying into this whole veggie thing Gernert! The only veggie I have seen you eat was potatoes in the form of a chip purchased at Speedway. :)

    ReplyDelete