Monday, October 6, 2014

Hey what's new Chas? Glad you asked...

Since I've written my last blog, I've started school here at WVU.  I moved in to a new house and really wanted to re-evaluate my well-being.  After turning 21 last fall and gaining a 10 lb beer gut, and spending the summer at home last year, it's been the first time in my life I've had to watch what I eat.  For some reason, though, it's always easier for me to ride and stay fit when I'm at school.  It may be because I don't have my mother baking delicious pies or meals that I always end up over-eating.  So this year I've really started a healthy eating kick (about 6 weeks into this).  A few of my favorite meals I've made: chicken stir fry-super cheap and easy to make, burrito bowls-just like they have at the fast food Mexican places!, and some chicken primavera- even easier and cheaper to make. 

I've also been able to get back in to riding consitently.  With my class schedule this year, it's been a lot easier to manage my time than over the summer while I was working.  I'm not really looking forward to hitting the real world.  There may not be homework and exams, but I've realized time starts to disappear.  With eating right and starting to ride more, it looks like this years base season will carry over well to next year, that's the hope.  Oh, and I have to start base season, like, last week. 

I also tried mountain biking for the first time in almost a year.  Needless to say, my technical skills were slightly off.  I fell off my bike close to 50 times (not an exaggeration), broke a spoke, bent my derailleur cage, my front shifter cable housing split open, and I cracked my Garmin screen, which I can no longer even view it.  So yeah, that's why I stick to road bikes.  The next day I felt like I played a football game the day before, and could barely move. 

But, schools been going well so far.  Nothing too hard and getting decent grades.  I got to go visit my brother and niece and nephew earlier in September and ran a benefit 5K for Team Ashlyn in DC.  I was very sore after that one as well.  I will also be joining an adult league hockey team for some fun.  Hopefully I can keep riding and possibly even get out to a cross race or two and see everyone from the team and just hang out and have a good time. 

Here's a few pictures you might enjoy:



2 comments:

  1. My college meals consisted of Ramon noodles and PB& J so you are doing much better than I did back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My meals STILL consist of ramen noodles and PB&J

    ReplyDelete