Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Work and Play


Sorry its been awhile since you have heard from me. As I come to the end of my intern year in training to become an emergency medicine doctor, I cannot tell you how much cycling for the team has been the  best form of stress release! I am lucky to be part of such a cohesive team with amazing sponsors!
As a “climber,” I was really looking forward to the Tour of Tucker County. I love to push my legs up steep hills and I was gunning for a good finish for the team. Being relatively new to road racing, I am still trying to learn race tactics and strategy. I wanted to stay with the lead women the entire race because I knew that I could out-climb women on the last Sugarland climb. On the Location climb a few women broke away from the pack, and in that split second time that you have to make a decision, I decided to chase them down. I ended up doing more work than I wanted to do before that last climb and I payed for it up Sugarland. I pushed as hard as I could, but I felt exhausted and not strong. I still was able to power up the climb and finish 4th. I just wish I could have finished stronger up the climb and placed better for the team. I keep learning so much every race and I am going to use this experience in future races.

 Climbing pain face 


The Fort Classic was a huge difference from the Tour of Tucker. I was ready to test out my “flat” legs and challenge myself to push my comfort level. On a great day for racing, I felt much better than at Tucker and was ready for a sprint finish. During the races this year, I have been involved in several sprint finishes and have been trying to work on my sprinting technique.  At the line, I was able to hold off the all the women but one and I finished second. I was happy with the finish and it was nice to race against some different competition. All in all, it has been a crazy and fun last month! I can’t wait for the Hilly Billy!


Sprint finish to second

Photos courtesy Fred Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment