Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Flash Forward

I didn't realize just how long it had been since I last shared a blog with you, until I just went back and read my last entry.  Wow, time has flown by. I can't believe that the entire cyclocross season has come and gone and I didn't have a single story to share.  But the truth of the matter is that I haven't ridden much this past fall. I aggravated a knee injury (running with my nephew in Maine) and it never really healed just right until well into November. But in the weeks since I started slacking, I did manage 1 personal victory... the prestigious Eastern Ohio 40+ Time Trial Series Championship.  On this occasion, I went into the final race with a comfortable lead and finished off the podium for the first time in 6 races. However, I was able to hold onto the top overall spot by only a few points.  The best part of the experience was getting to share it with Teammate and Confidante, Billy Slutz and his daughter Addie (who bagged their own series championships as well)
3 for 3 in series championships!  30+, stoker, & 40+

Fast forward to the present and I'm starting to prep for  the coming season. I believe Albert Einstein is credited with saying that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  Thinking about that, I realize that I am insane.  I keep putting forth the same efforts, hoping to get a better end result, but I keep ending up with mediocrity.  Well, not this year. I have decided to take a step to get to where I want to be.  I have finally bit the bullet and signed up with Performance Coaching Services for the 2015 season. I've toyed with the idea in the past, but always put it off until I got a little fitter to make best use of the financial expenditure. But inevitably I never reached THAT point, and therefore, never signed up for the service. Not this year. No more insanity.  No more excuse. BAM! Check is in the mail!


Thanks to Mom and Dad and Amber for theChristmas Gifts that made this possible!

And the insanity isn't just ending with that.  I am also committing to (I fear using the words Lifestyle Change as it conjours up images of me dressed in drag) "caloric restructuring".  What that means is I am going back to the 90/10 Nutrition program.  I did this once before with good results but got tripped up with a week long trip to Savannah and slowly got away from it. Its not a diet, but rather a change in the foods that I get to eat. I was surprised at how effective it was, and how easy it was to stick to the program.  I tried it again last year and dropped some weight, but my life got complicated and I made excuses.  But no more excuses this year. I am moving "all in" this year and recommitting myself to my goal of being called a sandbagger.  I realize that is an odd goal, but when I was doing my preliminary interview with Coach Rob, that's really all I want in 2015.

So there you are... caught up to where I am headed as the year comes to a close and we start preparing for the new year.  Stay tuned to follow my progress and keep up to date with whats going on with the rest of the team.   Hope you had a Merry Christmas and I wish you a Happy New Year.
Add caption

1 comment: