Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tired lungs and heavy legs

I write this recap with tired lungs and heavy legs. This weekend the WVU Cycling Team hosted their collegiate home road race weekend. Last year they put on an excellent downtown criterium in Clarksburg, WV, about 30 minutes south of Morgantown. This year the race was open to the public and there was a great turnout. Robbie Loehr and I carpooled in the Cat 4 mobile and showed up in time to watch a very exciting Cat 1/2/3 race with Nate Annon taking fourth place.


Todd Latocha, JR Petsko and I warmed up on the side of the course and remarked how professional the Dynamic Physical Therapy Cycling Team kits made us. Look fast go fast right? As we lined up for the start of the race the Dynamic Team had a strong representation in the field, five racers, Robbie Loehr, Todd Latocha, Ben Kuhlman, JR Petsko, and myself, James Braswell.


The race started very quickly with hard efforts from the NCVC boys from DC. I struggled to hold the pace through the first lap but quickly found myself off the back. Did I give up? No. I remembered my cornering techniques from my time in the collegiate crit racing circuit and attempted to be fast and smooth around the 1 km four corner course.

As the race progressed the Dynamic Physical Therapy Cycling Team regrouped for the last ten laps. We team time trialed holding off the main field approaching from behind. A pile up in the last corner on the last lap interrupted what I am sure would have been a spirited field sprint from the 4 man Dynamic contingency. Ben Kuhlman, who had just finished racing the 1/2/3 crit held on for a great top 11 finish.


All in all not a bad second race and first criterium effort for the season. Next time I just hope to hold the initial surge and stay with the pack. Thanks to the WVU Cycling Team, JR Petsko and all the Dynamic Physical Therapy Cycling Team sponsors. I have a feeling this is going to be a great season.

No comments:

Post a Comment