Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year's Resolution


A New Year’s Resolution

                Out of the 45% of individuals who make New Year’s Resolution only 8% are successful in achieving the goals they set.  This may make you wonder why people set resolutions.  I’m a firm believer that if in your heart you want to make your life better you will.   My resolution isn’t for a year; it’s one I will keep for life…Finding balance.

                I started my career less than a year ago and I dove head first.  Anyone that knows me could attest that I’ve worked as much overtime as possible.  This is due to many reasons…student loans are the devil, I want more for my life than just working, and I absolutely love my job.  Unfortunately by working so much I’m afraid I had the opposite affect and ended up only working.  I became so set on my goals of owning a home and the future I lost sight of the present.   

                This past year has been stressful to say the least.  Amidst all the stress I lost sight of who I am.  I became a robot working at times 24 days straight.  I would come home from work, cook dinner, shower, and fall asleep on the couch at 830..Wake up at 530 and do it all over again.  As much as I thought this wasn’t affecting me and more importantly the people I love,  I’ve come to realize now that I’ve just been going through the motions the past few months.   I haven’t paid enough attention to them and the things I enjoy most.

                Reflecting on the past year, I’ve realized it’s time to make a change.  I can’t say I won’t work overtime because after all, a girl has to eat.  I can guarantee that I’ll have more balance in my life.  This year my resolution is to take a step back and enjoy the little things and the big things that make life worth living.
 
 
2014 will be about getting back to being this girl
 

2 comments:

  1. I know this feeling well- I was once a graduate student slave. It seems ok at first, but there is more happiness to be had outside the work world (I'm convinced) then within. Enjoy the team, it's a great group!

    ReplyDelete