Sunday, December 8, 2013

December: Transitioning from derailleurs to deer

December generally signals a recovery period for me, which allows time to participate in some other hobbies, like deer hunting. I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite cycling products that I actually continue to use even when I'm not cycling. In January and February I'll use a lot of the same things for cross country skiing.

First off, those wonderful Honey Stinger waffles and Honey Stinger bars make great snacks to keep the energy up while hiking around. They don't take up much space, deliver a good caloric punch and taste great! I favor the original honey waffles and the blueberry bars.


Aside from my bike, this convertible jacket is my favorite Cannondale product. I've washed it a ton of times over multiple seasons and it's still repelling water and quite windproof. The durability has been very impressive to me. I also really like the ability to easily convert it into a vest. The whole thing is quite compressible as well. This a slightly older version but Cannondale is still making a similar product.



The jacket also pairs well with this long sleeve Cannondale jersey that I use as a middle layer when the temperatures drop into the 30s. A light wool sweater and an old synthetic race t-shirt under there and I'm good to go.


There are a couple pairs of tall Swiftwick socks that I'll layer up in my boots to keep the tootsies warm.


I've also gotten a great deal of off-season use out of these convertible Cannondale winter gloves. They aren't too bulky but the multiple layers fend off the wind and cold.


Is there any cycling gear you use for other hobbies or activities?

3 comments:

  1. i may have to trade you a bag of chews for a blueberry buzz. I have not tried one of those yet.. Sounds good.. cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never pegged you as a hunter. Too sedentary a sport I'd have figured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never pegged you as a hunter. Too sedentary a sport I'd have figured.

    ReplyDelete