Tuesday, August 28, 2012

...aaannd we're back

I don't really know where to begin, but let's start with "I'm writing this from my new almost-home in Flagstaff, Arizona." Yep. My lovely girlfriend has taken a new job here, and instead of shredding evening laps in White Park for the past 2.5 weeks - I've been enjoying the brown velcro singletrack of Coconino National Forest, courtesy of the the daily afternoon thunderstorms. Apparently, it's the best time of the year to ride here - the "monsoon season". Although I have no other time of year to compare it to, yet, I'd have to agree. The riding is ridiculously good, comparable to West Virginia with a twist.

Sounds like a vacation, huh? (It's really not)

Somehow I missed a blog post in July, even though I repeatedly reminded myself to get it done. (not out of necessity, but because I really do like to write a blog post once in awhile)

Here's a list of excuses, which will double as my July update:

  • All of a sudden we're moving 2000 miles across the country

Okay then, here's the August update, starting in late June:

  • 6/25: Deep bruise to left calf muscle (result of "falling" into a "sippy hole" at the HillyBilly Roubaix...just off the leaders). Finished, but probably wasn't a good idea to do so. 2 weeks off the bike. 
  • 7/12 to 7/15: "DNF's in Tour of the Valley" - Decent Friday TT. Too much work on the front Saturday plus embarrassing seatpost slippage put me OTB with a lap to go - I was over the whole "riding with my knees hitting my chin" thing, so...DNF #1. Sunday was far worse - physically I just didn't have it. Covered one move for a few laps and was dropped. DNF #2. Probably shouldn't have pedaled for pints the Thursday before the TT. (so much fun, though)
  • Weekend of 7/21: "DFL in the Mapletown Road Race" - I'm pretty sure I was the very last finisher - I mean, at least I was in the running for it. Definitely last in the 3/4 field by a solid 20 minutes. Probably shouldn't have ridden those 80 miles the day before, then to and from the Race (with pit wheels on my back) plus a few extra miles for the weekend double century. (so much fun, though) Whatever, I heard Steevo rode there, too - and probably won.
  • 7/26 to 8/1: "Rain - lots of it" - Moved 1.5 houses into 12' of semi-trailer bound for Arizona.
  • 8/2: "Pedaled for that first pint" - finally
  • 8/5: Deep bruise to left calf muscle. Yes, again (result of stacking it before the last creek crossing at the White Park MTB Race...riding 6th overall). Didn't finish. Bonus injuries: deep bruise to tissue behind left knee, bruised and lacerated right patella. 
  • 8/6: Work a full day then pack car full of "important" items to move. Hang $10000 worth of bikes off the back (their safe passage in the hands of six haggard cam straps and a rack that's "not made for this car"), while other (some may say, perhaps - less worthy) bikes travel securely on the roof because "that's the way they fit the best". (all my own decisions) Drive 28 hours to Albuquerque, NM.
  • 8/8: Drive to Flagstaff, AZ. Moving truck arrives in afternoon. Unload entire moving truck.
  • 8/9-8/24: "Absolute Chaos" - Really tired, unpack, setup, go shopping, coffee, get lost, get found, hot tub, heal, massage, work (remotely), bouldering, publish, coffee, ride, climb, coffee, Raleigh Mountain Tour, singlespeed, Pay 'n Take, beer, SnowBowl, Coconino NF, coffee, trails, lava field techy-tech, Rocky Ridge, Rocky Moto, oatmeal chocolate chip, fish tacos, Ralberto's breakfast burrito...
  • 8/25: "Race" - Ride 10 miles uphill to local MTB race. Manage a 7th out of 16 in the pro/expert field for my age group on a singlespeed. Ride/ghostride 10 miles home by 1pm...absolutely shelled. Family comes to visit at 1:30. Spend rest of day/night as zombie showing them around town.
  • 8/26-present: Recover.
I've had some decent fitness it seems, but some not-so-great luck, etc. Whatever, it's been fun.

Did I mention that I'm getting married in November (in WV), we have two houses to sell, and I have no job in Flagstaff? That I'll be flying and driving back and forth between here and Morgantown at least 8 times before the end of the year? How much fun does that sou.....wait, what?

Did you know that CYCLOCROSS SEASON IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER? I mean it is ALMOST SEPTEMBER!! WHAT WAS I TYPING BEFORE CYCLOCROSS? I CAN'T SEEM TO RECALL...

C
Y
C
L
O
C
R
O
S
S
.
.
.
S
E
R
I
O
U
S
L
Y
.
IT IS RAD AND YOU WILL DO IT.

I will be back in WV for cyclocross (and ultracross, but that's another post).

The season is almost upon us. Good luck and good fun to all :)

2 comments: